Friday 16 December 2011

Rounding Up Openings

From my analysis of the opening squences, I have learned several things from the openings.
Firstly I have noticed that most of the title squences of the actual film name are in black and white, Inception, for example is possibly the best to remember. The actual title squence itself which I will upload at a later date examples this. If not all, then they all certaintly do have connotations within the opening - The Dark Knight for example; all of them use colour for connotation within the films. This has made me think immediately about how the protangoist and the antogonists should dress in comparsion, or really, what makes them different (The Dark Knight for example, has most of its antonigsts in black or blue suits to connotate authority, power and itllegence, but uses light casted onto the characters to depict the difference) - this has made me think in comparsion between the films which will be the best, how to interest the audience, and confuse them.

Another important part I took from my reasearch was, from the words of John's speech in SWORDFISH:
''Blam, and the blonde girl gets it'' - I quote loosely.
The victum appears for murder, or hostages really, to be women; represented as weak, helpless, inferior and more so the pretty blonde one the attention of society, idealogy and of course the victum. However, as I have learned from The Dark Knight and Inception particularly, those that are the victums of these thrillers are male, typically white and in some how lost something valuable; money (or trinquent in Inception I suppose). This does not exactly respond with the idealogy of victums being robbed of their goods; viewers will expect drugs and murder which I suppose we are then steryotyping, but it would be interesting to go down that route. After all, in America, the largest victum group to crime is the white male to fraud. I've learnt that mise en scene is particularly important and further drawn attention to in these thrillers as compared to other films I have seen.

Sound is another important feature: diologue. It's rare in these clips that diologue hasn't occured, SWORDFISH and The Departed are the greater examples, but all use some incidental music of sorts to set the mood and atmopshere of the clip - which is direly needed in a thriller to establish foreshadowing particularly.

Shots was something interesting as I found for a shot that drew a source of power or authority, it was either close ups or low angle shots - vise verse for weak shots, high shots and long shots. I have not seen a great combination of either, one one with few of the other in each clip, which is interesting - I am curious as to whether it will work togher in a film, or whether it establishes a style in shot that is needed - for example ducth shots; I'm quite excited to look into them.

I've got a lot to think about, but those are the key points I have taken from these films, along with, the characters shown in all are male - thus this is creating a representation of the male gender contionously throughout, we will have to think what aspects of roles we will want to address. 

No comments:

Post a Comment